February marks Heart Health Month, an appropriate cause that falls within the same month as Valentine’s Day. All of us at Peninsula Auto Body are feeling the love this time of year, so we wanted to share a bit of information on how you can keep yourself “heart healthy.” Read below for some tips!
Eating healthy is the number 1 way to maintain your heart health! Your healthy diet should include lots of fresh and whole foods, including the following:
- a variety of fruits and vegetables,
- whole grains,
- low-fat dairy products,
- skinless poultry and fish
- nuts and legumes
- non-tropical vegetable oils
Heart health doesn’t just come from the food you eat, but also from the activity you do! The AHA recommends the following guidelines:
For Overall Cardiovascular Health:
- At least 30 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic activity at least 5 days per week for a total of 150 or At least 25 minutes of vigorous aerobic activity at least 3 days per week for a total of 75 minutes; or a combination of moderate- and vigorous-intensity aerobic activity
- Moderate- to high-intensity muscle-strengthening activity at least 2 days per week for additional health benefits.
For Lowering Blood Pressure and Cholesterol
- An average 40 minutes of moderate- to vigorous-intensity aerobic activity 3 or 4 times per week
Healthy eating will help you with this one, but a healthy weight will reduce the strain on your heart that occurs when it has to pump blood to through more mass. Make sure to keep an eye on your scale!
If you find that your day has you feeling completely stressed or overwhelmed, reduce stress! Check out the tips offered by AHA to see how you can take charge of bringing back your zen.
Last but not least, smoking is the most important preventable cause of premature death in the United States. If you, or someone you know, could benefit from quitting, contact the AHA today. They offer a list of resources to provide you with the tools you need to succeed.
All of us at Peninsula Auto Body are confident that you can improve your heart health with these tips. All it takes is commitment from you! Good luck!
Should you find yourself in need of collision repair services while in the Bay Area, please give us a call and rest assured that you will receive quality repairs with the health and safety of everyone in mind.
Peninsula Auto Body
1430 San Mateo Ave.
South San Francisco, CA 94080
Mon – Fri 7:30 am – 5:30 pm
Saturday – 8 am – 12 pm